European Jewish Congress
Chief Rabbi leads Jewish response to London Bridge terror attack
EJC in the Media
Chief Rabbi leads Jewish response to London Bridge terror attack

 Three men were reported to have leapt from a white van after it ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge at around 10.20pm, before going on to attack members of the public with machete-like knives.

Police responded with huge force and shot the attackers dead within minutes, but the attacks led to chaotic scenes in the area and in nearby Borough Market.

Counter-terror officers were seen putting bars and restaurants into lockdown, moving building-to-building in an apparent search for more attackers.

Responding to the attacks, Rabbi Mirvis said in the early hours of the morning: "In the wake of yet another attack, of more loss of life and of more families devastated by terror, every one of us will once again feel the now too familiar sense of horror and helplessness.

“After Westminster and Manchester we stood together defiant. Yet it seems the terrorists believe that where they have previously failed to poison our communities, with their destructive ideology of hatred and prejudice, they can succeed with still more bloodshed and murder. But we must not let them.

“We will not be cowed or intimidated nor will we allow our commitment to the values of peace and tolerance to be diminished. In the face of every attack, however devastating, we must continue to cleave ever closer to these values because ultimately they are what will defeat the evil of terror."

The European Jewish Congress (EJC) expressed its “horror and sadness” following the incident.

“Unfortunately, once again London has been hit at its very centre by a barbarous and repugnant terrorist killing spree,” Dr Moshe Kantor, EJC president said.

“However, we saw the resilience of the British people last night and we know it will continue as the government and police will do its utmost to find those behind these slayings.

“The European Jewish Congress and the Jewish communities of Europe extend our deepest condolences to the British government and people and pray for the welfare of those injured.” 

 Click here to read the full article in Jewish Chronicle

Tuesday, June 06, 2017
More News
MSN: A tit-for-tat Islamophobic attack?
MSN: A tit-for-tat Islamophobic attack?
The attack on Muslims returning home after tarawih prayers in Finsbury Park, north London late last night reeks of a tit-for-tat revenge - ramming into crowds, screaming death threats to Muslims and carrying knives with the intention to kill.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Life in Israel
EJC in Media
President's Page Security and Crisis Centre by EJC European Parliament Working Group On Antisemitism